Wednesday, June 27, 2012

'ello!!

This week has been (so far) much more easy going than last. I've had more time to myself to do normal things like cook, read, and workout, which has been fabulous. I've seen a lot more museums and walked a LOT, so my legs are exhausted. But,  I've also learned some valuable lessons and had time to actually think about things, which is great. Here are some nifty things to know if you want to study somewhere for a long period of time:


  1. Don't go out to eat every day. You might be tempted by the oodles and oodles of new, exciting foods, but it gets expensive. Why spend £5 on a panini, when you could spend £11 on bagels, crisps, pasta, pesto sauce, peanut butter, salad, and fruit, thus giving you at least a weeks worth of solid meals? Plus, eating food from restaurants and fast food places (even if they're disguised by seemingly healthy sandwiches from places like Pret or Eat) will inevitably slow you down and leave you feeling less energized.
  2. Do as many free things as you can, especially in a city like London. Museums here are FREE, people! It's so awesome that you can just wander in to a museum like the National Gallery and stare at some Degas for as long as your heart desires...so do it! While some of the paid attractions, such as the Tower of London or the War Rooms, are definitely worth a visit, don't forget all the free stuff, too. Especially the parks. Gorgeous!
  3. Do.not.shop. It's so difficult to resist the urge to buy new London fashion, but chances are when you go home you won't feel comfortable enough with this "new look" to wear them there anyways....plus people will look at you like you're from another planet. Admit it, when you go home, you're going back to your Old Navy flip flops and Northface jackets, so why spend a ton of money here on something you probably won't wear often? 
  4. Get enough sleep! Nothing worse than feeling lethargic as you're walking through  museums filled with awesome stuff you should be super excited about, but you're too sleepy to keep your eyes open. Sleep a good 7 hours a night, and try to limit going out to at most, wait for it, three nights a week. When you're in a new city with tons of awesome people you just met, that may seem like a ridiculous request. But trust me, going "cray-cray" 4-5 nights a week will eventually leave you exhausted. And broke. Did you know that they charge you upwards of £5 for a mixed drink with exactly one shot poured into it? We aren't at the nitty anymore, folks, and it's costing us. Big time.
  5. Get used to PDA. In America, we find ourselves oftentimes disgusted at the sight of a couple so much as holding hands, let alone full-blown making out in public. Well, here, PDA is like the new black. Or iPod or Jimmy John's or...well, you get the point. It's everywhere! People making out on escalators, in the tube, in restaurants, while waiting in a queue... and there's nothing you can do, so just get used to it. Think of it this way, at least they're getting their frustrations out in a normal manner, instead of secretly reading 50 Shades of Grey on their Nook whilst sitting on the tube...not that I've been doing that, or anything.
Anyways, I'm aware that most of those posts are about money, but there are so many ways to spend over here! One awesome piece of advice that I will give that disregards spending...go visit other places! I plan on going to at least Paris (booked my ticket today!) and Italy while I'm abroad, regardless of cost, simply because I have no idea when I'll be here next. So think of all those money saving tips as your huge jar for collecting funds for other destinations. It'll be worth it...I promise. 

Until next time! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm tellin' ya, king size Snickers is like 75p. And it's packed with peanuts, really satisfies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've resorted to eating one huge meal a day and having little things like clementines or a bag of crisps throughout....no snickers yet!

    ReplyDelete