Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hello all (or few who read this)!

As many of you may know, I am studying abroad in London for seven weeks over the course of the summer. I leave on Friday night (sdkfdslkjasdas), and return on Thursday, August 2nd. This is where I am going to actually commit to writing about all  (most) of my experiences while I'm there. AND, since I plan on having the time of my life and doing everything possible out of my comfort zone (which shouldn't be too difficult - anywhere out of my bed is pretty much out of my comfort zone), it should be a good read.
I thought I'd start with a little diddy on how ridiculously stressed out I am about packing. Historically, I tend to be a "last-minute" kind of gal (with the logic that I will stress more over a long period of time than if I just take one massive do-everything-you-need-to-day), hence I decided that doing my packing the day before my trip would be best. Unfortunately, this has backfired a bit, and I am currently way more stressed out about this than I would be had I started earlier. Oh well, it always gets done...right? Plus side, I did pack my things that I will be taking with me from Madison. Negative side, by "pack" I mean folded my clothes and put them on my futon with no means of transport for them between my apartment and my car. Oh well, at least I'll get my exercise.
Another issue? My loan hasn't come through yet. That's right, the money that I plan on living off of when I get there has not arrived. Did I mention I leave the day after tomorrow? Stress.
On top of all of this, I made the brillllliant decision to stay up until 3:00 last night. Foresight? YOLO.* Hindsight? Dumb as shit. Not only am  I exhausted, but I'm at work until 5:30 and then have plans tonight. Glass half full: my nap this evening will be kick ass. I am excited for tonight though, it's kind of my last-hurrah in Madison until August, and it involves the weirdest conglomeration of my friends I think that has ever existed in one place at one time. Also karaoke. I haven't done much math since high school, but I do know that adds up to be one hell of a night. I apologize for the corny language. Did I mention I'm tired?
Anyways, let's make a list of things I plan to accomplish whilst in London.

  1. Acquire a British accent. I'm not kidding. I will sound like the queen by the time I get back here, mark my words. If not, I will at least fake it until it's convincing. Or until I can annoy my friends...which should take all of thirty seconds. I have impatient friends.
  2. Acquire more patient friends.
  3. Successfully learn and USE British slang that is actually in practice. Not like the typical things you hear in movies, unless those are real...they might be, but I've been to London before and have never heard them. Anyways, words like "quid" instead of  "bucks" (as in money, not like a 10 point deer or something). 
  4. Become much more proficient at knowing what coins are what. I know my way around British currency already (actually found a few pounds worth in my bag from last year -win!), but I would like to not look like a total American asshole that is holding everyone up because she can't figure out the difference between a 5 p and 10 p.
  5. Convince the United States' Treasury Department/Mint that we need to make a usable one dollar and two dollar coin. IT'S SO USEFUL.
  6. This is a serious one - train for my half marathon. I ran 6.5 miles last night, so I'm ahead of schedule, but I'm actually concerned about the air quality in London and it affecting how I run. Either way, I have to get to at least 12 miles by August 18th - 65 days. Leggggggo. 
  7. Learn how long a km is compared to a mile. Also really learn how to use the metric system. I'm dumb and American, and even though it's based on tens instead of random ass numbers like 12 and 5,260, I still can't figure it out. Also, wtf is a stone?!
  8. Visit Paris and Ireland. And Venice, since my boss at Loft told me I would be fired if I didn't get there. 
  9. Drink British tea. This is probably a bit cliche and maybe outdated, but my love of old people and hot drinks makes this a no-brainer. 
  10. For when I get back home - profusely confuse my friends with my use of words like lift, loo, pants, rubber, etc. 
That's all I got for now. I'm sure this list will get longer as I get there and such. 
Anyways, thanks for sticking with me. That'll do for now.

Cheerio! (Sorry - I had to)




*any use of the word YOLO is strictly sarcastic/not really because it usually actually applies. But I still think it's dumb. 


No comments:

Post a Comment