Well, of course it isn't. But the tragic events of the day in Boston, got me thinking. What does all of this mean?
Aurora, Colorado. Oak Creek, Wisconsin. Newtown, New Jersey. And now Boston, Massachusetts. These four cities will now live ingrained in the minds of all of us, and not because of their historical significance.
You might be thinking "one of these things is not like the other," but really, they're all so similar. Sure, they might stem from different issues. Mental illness, prejudice, terrorism. But what it comes down to isn't about healthcare or politics or international affairs. It's not about democrats or republicans. It's not about Obama, and it's certainly not about guns.
Is the mental healthcare system a failing institution in this country? Absolutely. Do we have way more assault weapons than necessary in this country? Absolutely. Are there issues abroad that we don't exactly know how to handle? Absolutely. But these have all been issues before and they will all be issues again.
When I heard the news about Boston today, all I could ask myself was "Is this what it felt like to be an American in 1968?" For those of you who don't know, 1968 was a year that has lived in infamy. From the assassination of MLK Jr., to the Vietnam War, to the Democratic National Convention, and notwithstanding riots in all corners of the country, citizens thought that our world was falling apart. The Cold War and World War III beckoned.
And we got through it. Sure, there are arguments to the contrary, but by and large we made it out of that hellish year still standing. Were we the same? Absolutely not. Our idyllic sense of self from the 1950s was tarnished (even though I wrote my junior thesis on how the 50s was actually an underground wave of volcanic shit that was just waiting to explode, you know what I mean). Then came the economic toilet of the 70s and 80s, but then, then came the 90s and Rugrats and grunge metal and bubblegum pop and yay money. And everything was good again (especially for you, Bill, at least until 1998).
I'm not saying this isn't bad. I'm not saying you shouldn't be scared or worried about future generations. And I'm certainly not saying you shouldn't take time to reflect on this event that we will forever remember.
But take this, take this hopeless, lost, confused, and scared feeling, and turn it around. As cliched as this is, just love. Reach out to those next to you and those in Boston and give your helping hand. Don't stop living. It may take 10, 20, or even 30 years, but we'll get there. I don't care if this is too optimistic or glass-half-full or even ignorant. If there is one common, screaming theme through all these tragedies it's that there simply isn't enough graciousness, charity, and love in the world, and it's up to you (all twelve of you who read this) to change this. Hating those who did these acts will get us nowhere; everyone has a story, everyone has a side, and everyone, every living being on this Earth, deserves love. It may be difficult and it may test every fiber of your being, but this is critical. Love (and a little empathy) can change our mental health system for the better. Love (and a little flexibility) can make the gun debate moot. Love (and a little understanding) can help ease our international tensions.
It's optimistic. It's glass-half-full. And it may even be a bit ignorant. But it's true. Love is how I've lived my life. It's love that has gotten me and my family and my friends through addiction, depression, brokenness.
I don't have the answers, I don't have the policy changes or the laws or the money or understanding of what goes into huge, systematic changes. But I do know it's a grassroots movement, and it starts here.
Let love, grace, compassion, and altruism bring us back to the nineties, because hey, we all need a little more Vanilla Ice and Skip-It's and Thelma and Louise and Zubaz.
My hearts and sincerest prayers go out to those impacted not only by the events in Boston yesterday, but to those in Aurora, Oak Creek, Newtown, and anyone else who needs them.

No comments:
Post a Comment