Wednesday, October 10, 2012

GOOD NEWS

Hey everyone!

I know it's been a while and I don't think anyone actually reads this, but it's kind of therapeutic to write about what's been going on...so here's what's been going on!

In my post-London life, I've learned a lot. For one, I've become very good at managing money. After London, I was in a lot of credit card debt. Not like "oh shit, I can't pay my bills" bad, but pretty bad nonetheless. I have been spending a LOT less money since then and doing barely any shopping (which, let's face it, is my go-to activity when I'm bored), so I've been pretttty proud of myself.

I've also been doing especially awesome in school and really do love my classes. I knew HDFS was the right major for me, but this semester has really solidified it. I'm constantly surrounded by great people who have the same passion for children that I do and that makes it a really awesome, conducive learning environment. Plus our new SoHE building is rather kick-ass, if I do say so myself. I also did really super well on a multiple choice test which NEVER happens because I am a notoriously bad test taker, so that was super exciting! YAY.

I've been keeping up with going to the gym and being healthy, too! I head to the gym four, usually five days a week and usually stay for about an hour and a half, working on cardio, running the track, doing free weight work, abs, etc. I've definitely started noticing changes in my body and energy levels (I don't need as many naps!) and my cravings for unhealthy food are virtually nonexistent (besides BWW). It's so great to finally feel good about myself and feel right in my skin!

I've also started working on a great internship for the Waisman Center. Because of confidentiality issues, I can't really discuss the nature of it online, but it has really opened my eyes to some unfortunate conditions that children not only in America but in my HOME TOWN live in. It's only inspired me to really work to try and change at least one child's life, and I hope the study I'm on will help achieve that. I think it's made me even more capable of thinking outside the box and seeing things through some not-so-rose-colored glasses, and I really believe that it's something everyone should do once in their life. Just step outside your box and explore things you're generally really not comfortable with, you'd be surprised how much you can learn!

That being said, as of late I have spent a lot of time thinking about my life. I know that sounds sooo ridiculously cliched, but it's really crazy to think "one year ago I was here, two years ago, three..." etc. In the past year especially I have changed SO much and have become the person I've really always wanted to be, but had been scared to get out of my comfort zone. I've reached out and made new friends, tried new things, been adventurous (crazy, right), began working out consistently, joined clubs, etc. It is seriously amazing how much a year of being "alone" (whilst always surrounded by friends, of course) can change you. I don't feel the need to constantly be in communication with someone or see someone and I'm perfectly okay having a day where I kind of just chill and hang out alone. I'm just in a really healthy place, spiritually, mentally, and physically, and it's a great feeling.

Anyways, sorry about that long rant about myself. Anyone who reads this, let me know how you're doing! I'd love to hear from everyone :)

Ta-ta for now (or possibly a couple of months)!

No comments:

Post a Comment